"Picture books celebrate childhood. They speak universal truths and help children better understand the world around them. They are often a child’s first exposure to fine art and poetic language. Some picture books are so magical, they define childhood. They become a marker or a milestone in a child’s life." - Dianne de las CasasThey should be celebrated!! Hence, the creation of Picture Book Month. Here's how we're celebrating. There will be...
• A Picture Book Hero featured every day
• A themed calendar (Created by Yours Truly using Coloring Page Tuesday images!) great for teachers, parents, and librarians
• Picture Book Links and Resources
• Links to picture book publishers
• Links to picture book authors/illustrators
• Links to picture book blogs/review sites
• and Picture Book Activities
We are doing this because in this digital age where people are predicting the coming death of print books, picture books (the print kind) need love. And kids need picture books. There's nothing like the physical page turn of a beautifully crafted picture book!
In fact it's such a big deal, Katie Davis featured Picture Book Month on her podcast Brain Burps About Books (click the logo):
When you're done, please help spread the word!!! Tell everyone you know about Picture Book Month. This is our first year but we will work to get as much publicity as possible.