Pubbers Going Green?

     According to this article at Publishers Weekly, publishers in the UK are considering ways to cut down (sorry) on deforestation by using more recycled paper in their books.
     I'm all for it!
     But I do wonder, if you had the choice between two books, the one you only sort of wanted to read had a "recycled paper" logo and the one you really wanted didn't - which one would you buy? Would it make a difference to you?
     We book lovers tend to be consciencious people when it comes to everything but our books. We scoop 'em up like crazy! (Well, I do anyhow.) Wouldn't it be nice if we could do it with a little less guilt about our impact on the environment?
     The most ethically pleasing job I ever had was creating animations for the Stone Mountain Laser Show. Everything we did was on computers and our final product was light . . . just light cast onto the side of a mountain. The worst damage we were responsible for was the crushed grass from the picknickers blankets.
     I'd love it if publishing could rise to that level of ethical responsibility. Not that I could love books any more than I already do, but well, maybe I could just a little bit.

No comments: