US-UK Sketchbook Swap!

So, my friend Julia Patton and I had this crazy idea to have our illustration students take turns filling sketchbooks and then swapping them with each other between Winthrop University (in the US) and the University of Sunderland (in the UK). Julia had already purchased a bunch of Moleskins for a project, so her students went first. Then Julia got a big freelance job (I mean BIG/HUGE!) and had to leave her position. So, her colleague Nick Lewis stepped in. We zoomed a few times to talk about it and he pulled everything together on his side. We talked about a general timeline, but then things got busy and I completely forgot about it... until one day, this fun box arrived at my office:
OMG! A few students were around when it arrived and we ripped it open, squeeling with joy. Inside were about 18 moleskins with a few pages in each covered with fun illustrations and introductions.
Inside, students talked about where they live in the UK, their homes, and their friends:


They filled the books with their favorite music, artists, websites, and hobbies:
So, of course, my students did more of the same:









Some of the artwork was really amazing!
Since Nick wrapped up the books with a cat the first time, I thought I'd do our own version:

I even included a teacher sketchbook this time!

The box is on its way to the UoS as I type. We can't wait to see what comes back for the next round of our Sketch Book Swap!

No comments: