Celtic Festival!

The Virginia Mountains are surprisingly similar to the Scottish Highlands, with the difference of trees. And much of the Appalachians were settled by Scots and Irish, so Highland Games and Scottish history are well-represented here. So, when I heard there was going to be a Celtic Festival at a local park, I jumped at the chance to go and hear bagpipes! Happily, my friends Julie and Don were up for the adventure.
     It was a surprisingly small affair, but had all the proper trappings. There were the Highland Games that basically consisted of very strong men lifting very heavy things, and sometimes throwing them.
And of course they were all wearing kilts. Gotta love kilts.
We brought lawn chairs and just relaxed. It was such a gorgeous day! Here's Julie...
And me with a Scottish flag!
But best of all? I got to hear bagpipes! Made me feel like I was back in Scotland again - sort of.
It all took place around "Twin Creeks Brew Pub" in an historic building where they host traditional Irish music every week: https://www.facebook.com/TwinCreeksBrewpub/
I emailed a friend in Scotland while there and shared the photos. She said, "It looks just like Scotland!" Well, not quite. Not quite. But it will do until I can get back to Scotland.

No comments: