5 Favorite Smells

So I was laying in bed last night (lying? whatever). Anyhow, all those things I've got to do were racing through my head and keeping me awake, as they so often do. To thwart them, I came up with a new way to calm myself down: Think of my five favorite smells/sounds/sights/etc.
   Today, I'm listing smells. My five favorite smells are:

   • Blooming abelia and orange blossom bushes caught on a gentle breeze.
   • Baking bread and brewing coffee (even though I can't drink the stuff).
   • The smell of my husband's cooking from the upstairs hallway. (He's really good.)
   • Gardenias and magnolia blooms.
   • The smell of a burning fire (fireplace) on a crisp, clear winter day. (Can I add the smell of grilling in July?)

   Okay, so maybe that ended up being more like seven or eight things. Hm. What are your five favorite smells?
   Oh, and you can pair these lists with your five least favorite smells/sounds/sights as well, but I found that to be much less productive towards the sleep process.

8 comments:

Julie Hedlund said...

Gardenias are definitely one of mine (and lilacs!). Fresh popcorn popping, cinnamon buns baking, a ripe tomato just picked off the vine... I could go on and on! :-)

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

Oh yeah - popcorn!! Until it burns... then it makes the "worst smells" list. :) e

Lisa J. Michaels said...

Hot chocolate chip cookies baking, waffle cones as you enter the ice cream shop, fabric softener right out of the dryer, puppy breath, newly printed books in the book store (reminds me of the first day of school).

That was a great idea Elizabeth...I feel more relaxed already!

Deebi27 said...

The kitchen after cooking my spaghetti sauce, fresh baked bread, freshly mowed grass, dinner grilling on the grill and my hubby after a shower, So that all equals a yum, yum, ah, yum and snuggle :o)

Sarah Lamstein said...

Babies' heads, chocolate, hyacinth, honeysuckle, after a rain. Loved thinking about this!

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

Oh my gosh - yes Lisa! How could I forget the smell of baking chocolate chip cookies!? Gads, y'all are making me hungry.
Deebi - snuggle smells are awesome!
Sarah! Honeysuckle - yes! That's yet another fave! :)

Anonymous said...

Anything citrus, peppermint, coffee, roast beef, freshly baked bread, and almsot anything barbecued. I've never thought about favourite smells, maybe because I don't have a very good sense of smell, so this was a pretty cool exercise for me. Thanks! Oh, and it's 'lying in bed'...lay has to take an object, like you can lay an egg, or lay me down to sleep, or lay it on the line. I always imagine a chicken laying an egg on the center line of a highway. LOL Otherwise there's no way I'd remember that. :)

Anonymous said...

My husband and one of my sons say they love the smell of diesel exhaust. Thought you might find that interesting. (Personally, I think that smell is disgusting...)