e's news - november 2008

     I just sent out my latest newsletter which you can view in full HERE, but here are some of the highlights:

Hi Y'all!
     Christmas is coming and the goose is . . . tightening it's belt. It's important that you spend your money thoughtfully this holiday season. Buy locally and from industries you'd like to strengthen. Books make fantastic gifts - dollar for dollar they are one of the best entertainment values available AND they promote literacy and give back long after the holidays are over.
     I hope you'll consider my books when shopping. (Click on a cover to learn more about each title.)



     If you order through my local independent bookseller, Little Shop of Stories, I can personalize your copies and add a bookmark. (Click their logo to send them an email.) I also have tons of free stuff you can download on my website to include with your gift!

EVENTS:

     I'll be at the Savannah Children's Book Festival this coming weekend (November 15th) speaking at the brand new tent for the Georgia Center for the Book and Read it Loud - an organization that encourages parents to read to their children.
     I'm honored to be a last-minute addition to the incredible line-up of speakers this year. (Click the banner for more info.) The festival is FREE to the public, so I hope you'll stop by!



     Planning for our Illustrators' Showcase, now called "Storybook Look: Illustrations by Southern Artists" is going well. My art has been picked up (leaving blank spaces on my studio walls) and they are scheduling venues now. If you're interested in hiring the show for your gallery, library, or venue, visit the Southern Arts Federation for more information.

BOOK NEWS:
     I'm currently working on my first picture book as author/illustrator, "Soap, soap, soap ~ Jabón, jabón, jabón" and about to dive into the fourth book in the ParentSmart/KidHappy series. More information soon!

AWARDS!

Paco and the Giant Chile Plant has been awarded a Bronze Medal in the 2008 Moonbeam Children's Book Awards. Woohoo!

RECOMMENDATIONS:
     I often listen to audio books while I'm illustrating and I've just finished THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins. I can't recommend it highly enough.
     It presents a believable and engaging scenario set sometime in the future (at least 100 years as it's after a war we have yet to fight). It's a reality show to the death, a game invented by the Capital to keep down the losing side. Part game show, part love story, part survival story, both boy and girl teens (and adults) will love this book.
     I love audio books, but I kind of wish I had read this one rather than listened to it, as it's one of those books you can really curl up with and disappear into.

I also talk about school visits and coloring pages. Like what you see? Want to subscribe? Sign up to receive e's news HERE.

No comments: