SCBWI Winter Conference


Tomorrow I head to New York City for the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators Winter Conference. This is my first time doing the New York national conference. I've done the Los Angeles one twice. If you ever wondered what the benefits of volunteering for SCBWI are - here's a prime example! I'll be in my Illustrator Coordinator role (I'm IC for the southern region of Alabama, Georgia and the Florida panhandle), so they're putting me to work watching over portfolios, helping with book signings, moderating sessions, and such. But first, there is some fun to be had...
     Thursday, fellow ICs and RAs (Regional Advisors) will meet up for dinner and a Broadway show (Matilda) - I can't wait! I talk to these folks online all the time while organizing our various regional SCBWI events, but so many I'll be meeting face-to-face for the first time.
     Otherwise, I'll be doing the Illustrator Intensive on Friday, showing my portfolio, going to sessions by fantastic speakers, and at some point I hope to make it over to the New York Public Library to see Leonard Marcus' exhibit "Why Picture Books Matter." I'll also help author Mikki Knudsen celebrate her birthday one night. It's going to be a whirlwind trip, I tell ya! I just hope the weather behaves so all the flights come and go as they should. Cross your fingers for me!
     I still have some great blog posts lined up for you while I'm gone, although I'll be slow to respond via email if you should need me before next week. Thanks for your patience.
     Click the banner to learn more!

No comments: