Gifcon 2019

This past Thursday and Friday, the University of Glasgow's MLit in Fantasy program hosted its third GifCon (Glasgow International Fantasy Conversations). This conference has really taken off. There's nothing like it anywhere else in the world, so it's attracting speakers from all corners of the world. For instance, I learned about a trickster in Brazil from an American who started a publishing company in Scotland.
And I got to hear a talk on Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey.
Brian Attebery gave a keynote, as did Mel Gibson (not that Mel Gibson) on graphic novels.
There were panels that answered the most interesting questions.
And topics I never would have stumbled across otherwise.
I love going to these, mostly to sit and draw while speakers put interesting things in my head. Dimitra caught these photos of me drawing images for my own fantasy novel.
But the highlight was at the very end when Dr Dimitra Fimi sang an old Welsh Ballad in honor of the event. Click the image below to go listen on YouTube.
What a place to be inspired! I'm so glad I've been able to attend the first three years of this fabulous conference!

No comments: