Washington, DC! Part 2

I had to go see what the Eastern Market turns into on a Saturday, and by golly they weren't kidding! Remember the "before" view from my last post? Well, check out the transformation a day makes!
Inside, was a full-time market full of fish-mongers, butchers, delis,
and wonderful things to purchase that I wish I could get where I live!

Julie and I set out to explore and went all over the place, and after seeing this masterpiece by Henry Moore,
we headed to the official Sculpture Garden (I love sculpture gardens.)
There, I found a Lichtenstein almost identical to the one that sits outside the High Museum of Art in Atlanta.
It felt like a sign. So Stan is now in the sculpture garden near the Lichtenstein, so he got to enjoy my DC adventure too. We stopped to enjoy a spot o' tea in the café there by the fountain before moving on.
     DC is a very walkable town, but I have to admit, despite walking/working out every day, I am not in as good shape as I would like. So the pure excitement and adrenalin of this beautiful city kept me going! Truly, I think the word "awesome" was created for DC specifically. I'm used to European cities with their tight pathways and ancient architecture. Well, DC has its own thing going on. It is newer, yet GRAND,
breathtaking, clean, well-cared for, and it made me feel patriotic just to be there. This is OUR capital, and it is IMPRESSIVE. I'm jealous that France gets to ride her bike all over this city every day. (Here are France and Julie.)
     Since the trip was all about researching books, it felt appropriate to go to the Library of Congress, a place I'd never been. How inspiring that it is just behind the Capital Building - it reflects the importance literacy, education, and intelligent contemplation had on the formation and foundation of this country.
     I have to say, I was completely blown away when we walked into the Library of Congress.
I literally got chill bumps and tears in my eyes.
What an awe-inspiring place!
Not one inch of the building hadn't been made beautiful in its construction. This was the ceiling.
And there were lovely quotes inset everywhere.
As a student, France used to do her research at the LoC, and you can still reserve a spot today (if you don't mind folks staring at you from above).
It was very humbling to think that my books are most likely available here, being stored deep in the bowels of this amazing edifice. France, Julie and I were so impressed, we agreed to take a picture from below (something women rarely do for obvious reasons) just to show the grandeur above us.
      They were hosting a show of Thomas Jefferson's personal library. It was so interesting to see the books he'd read. He was not a perfect man, by any means, but he was certainly a well-read man! There was even a Scottish connection in his collection with the philosopher HUME, whose house and sculpture I used to pass all the time in Edinburgh.
     What a wonderful trip to pair with the Building Stories exhibit. This is what I'll do with my students when they join me later this year.
     Afterwards, we decided to visit my parent's old stomping grounds. My mom spent a semester at Georgetown University when she was in college. Wow.

And she and my dad used to eat burgers at The Tombs.
Here's to you, Mom and Dad!
     From there it was time to catch the train back to Roanoke from Union Station.
It was a very quick trip, but so worth it! And now I know how to help my students make the most of it as well. I can't wait to return with them!

To follow our adventures when we go, sign up for our KidLit News (formerly e's news)!

No comments: