Thank you Jon Scieszka!


Today ends the two-year reign of our first ever Children's Book Ambassador, Jon Scieszka. Tomorrow somebody else will be named to fill his very large shoes.
     So let's take a moment to recognize the trail Jon blazed in this new role. First off, he's a danged nice guy as I've had the chance to learn on more than one occasion - like when he visited Little Shop of Stories. But more importantly, he made a difference. He helped put children's books more on the map. He helped boys find books they would love at GuysRead. And he helped break down some walls between the different ways we read in this new age. All-in-all, he turned the role into one of influence with high expectations for those who follow. (No pressure, hehe.)
     I suppose my favorite Scieszka book is still THE STINKY CHEESE MAN. He turned picture book storytelling on its head in that one - and made a lot of people laugh while he was at it!
     So, THANK YOU Jon!!


Go read other tributes to Jon at A Year of Reading!


Want to know why we love him so? Check out this great video collection at Fuse #8: We Love Our Ambassador, Oh Yes We Do.

6 comments:

Brimful Curiosities said...

We like The Stinky Cheese Man as well. More specifically, my daughter thinks the parts with the Giant are hilarious.

Franki said...

Every time I read a post about Jon Scieszka, I change my mind about which of his books is my favorite! Such a hard decision:-)

Angela said...

We love his books! The Time Warp Trio series has to be my favorite, though.

Elizabeth O. Dulemba said...

It IS a hard decision. They're all wonderful truly.
:)
e

Jon Scieszka said...

Thanks for the kind words, Elizabeth. I'm working on more books to make your decision even harder.

Elizabeth O. Dulemba said...

Oh good! THANK YOU Jon!
:)
e