Illustration Friday: Island


     Ever feel like an island unto yourself? Bea sure does.
     This is yet another sketch that I can't fully render unless the book sells, which despite winning numerous honorable mentions in writing contests, it has yet to do.
     Perhaps I went too cartoony with the sketches, or maybe my art just plain doesn't fit the story. It happens. Just because I'm a professional illustrator, it doesn't mean my style fits every story I write. I get enough work that I don't take it personally. And Queen Bea would look lovely in watercolors, which I don't do...
     But I sure would like to see this story out there, because I know there are a lot of kids who would connect with Bea, trying to figure out where they fit in the world despite being a little overweight or shy or whatever. We've all been there. We've all been our own island at some point.

No comments: