Even Faulkner had a day job

From Jacket Copy, "Even Faulkner had a day job" - an article about the day jobs some famous writers in history held to support their writing. For instance - Faulkner worked as the postmaster at the University of Mississippi. Average annual take-home pay by today's standards? $18,000 a year. Read to learn more about Franz Kafka and Charlotte Bronte. Hmmmm.
While J.K. Rowling is making billionaire lists, there is another generation of bank clerks, mailmen and nannies staying up late with their laptops, writing "not for glory and least of all for profit."
Makes me feel a little better (or worse?) - how about you?
Thanks to Nathan Bransford for the heads up.

2 comments:

Clara Gillow Clark said...

Better. Definitely. I've done my share of lowly, too. Did you know that one of Raymond Carver's jobs was picking tulips?

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

I didn't know! I imagine that started out as a lovely job, then quickly ended up a pain in the back!
:)
e