Winter Graduation Ceremony

And my first at Winthrop University! I don't have my official robes yet, as I'm waiting to buy a nice set-up when I finish my PhD. But here I am with Meg, who has been the lead on seeing us new faculty learn the ropes on campus. These are her official robes - stripes and squishy hat and all - they signify her PhD.
The main theater for ceremonies is still going through construction after a fire, so the ceremony was held in the coliseum. We needed the space - check out all these graduates!
The winter graduation ceremony included the Master's Graduates as well as the BFAs. Their walk across stage included a donning of their official velvet collar. I wonder if they did that at my MFA (I missed it as I was teaching overseas).
Several nice things happened at this graduation that I don't think would have happened at a larger institution. For instance, a student sadly passed away just before finishing his classes. Being close enough to have fulfilled his requirements, the university presented his framed degree to his parents. Wow. Their son had been working towards the degree for years, taking classes as he was able. So, he had a lot of friends on campus. There wasn't a dry eye in the place.
     There was also the graduate with her service/support dog - who also wore a cap and formal-wear.
And then there was the tradition of faculty lining up in the exit-way so that all the graduates passed through to shouts of 'CONGRATULATIONS!' and hugs and high-fives. Here were my two illustration graduates, Kai and Lilly.
This was my first graduation ceremony at Winthrop, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved all the whooping and cheering from the families as their kids were announced on stage. I loved the smiles and cheers of the students as they moved their tassels from one side of their caps to the other. I loved checking out the shoes graduates chose to wear for their big day. I loved the honor of sitting among esteemed faculty in official robes. And I loved the commencement speech given by Dr. Gloria Jones. Oh - and I actually have the alma mater memorized already as they play it on the bells almost every day right outside my office. So, I was able to happily sing along. Overall, I couldn't stop smiling and look forward to experiencing these again and again.

1 comment:

Jennifer Oberholtzer said...

So gorgeous, all of it! ❤️