John C. Campbell Folk School


Last weekend I taught "Creating Picture Books" at the John C. Campbell Folk School. I do this once a year, along with occasionally teaching "Beginning Drawing" as well. If you don't know about John C. - it's in beautiful Brasstown, North Carolina just south of Murphy in the heart of the Appalachians. Many of the buildings are old farm houses, or 1920's gathering halls. The place feels camp, which it is - camp for adults. They offer everything from blacksmithing to quilting to creating metal chickens. It's a very cool place and I love my annual escapades. Not to mention my classes.
     The writing class is small, just eight students and we really dig in and get to work. All the students show up with a story, so everybody in the class is quite serious about being there - any teacher's dream.
     The drawing class is a little more laid back but equally fun. I basically teach the way I was taught and I love seeing my students' work improve.
     Either way, I've got that teaching bug and I don't get to express it enough. It's why I love speaking at conferences too. But my fave will always be the John C. Campbell Folk School.

Read about some of my classes here:
Creating Picture Books 2009
Creating Picture Books 2008

My next classes:
I will teach Beginning Drawing in August 2011.
I teach Creating Picture Books again in December 2011.

3 comments:

SparkleFarkel said...

I don't know where I want to be more, in one of your wonderful "Creating Picture Books" writing classes or that beautiful pink coneflower field with my arms outstretched! Let me see...I'll take BOTH!

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

You can have both! The writing studio is surrounded by gorgeous fields and there are picnic tables where you can write and enjoy the view. Rough life, I know!
:)
e

Sarah Campbell said...

So glad you get to do this. Facilitating creative time is a wonderful thing!