Abigail Halpin's FORT-BUILDING TIME

The author of the new FORT-BUILDING TIME, Megan Wagner Lloyd recently interviewed the illustrator, Abigail Halpin about her process working on the book, which I'm happy to share with you today! Take it away Megan!

Megan: I'm pretty sure I'm the luckiest picture book author ever--to have not just one, but two books illustrated by Abigail Halpin! Abigail is supremely talented, kind, and insightful. I was thrilled to be able to ask her more about her process, interests, and inspirations. Read on! Megan: How did illustrating Fort-Building Time connect back with your childhood? Did you build a lot of forts as a kid?
Abigail:
The first time I read the manuscript for Fort-Building Time I was instantly transported back to my childhood. Growing up, my sisters and I spent hours outdoors riding bikes and building forts. And we even made snow forts, just like the one pictured in Fort-Building Time.
Megan: Something I love about your illustrations for Fort-Building Time is that they feature a group of kids exploring and working together. When I was a kid I was always toting my next-youngest sister around, so I especially liked the inclusion of a younger sibling in the group. Why did you choose to center the illustrations on a group as opposed to one or two main characters?
Abigail:
One thing I kept coming back to when sketching was the question of what fort building means. I think in a way, forts are a child's way of affirming home and creating a place of belonging. A fort is where you bring your stuffed animals and your friends, where you hide your treasures and read your books: essentially, it's a home, a place where you feel protected and affirmed. Because of that, I focused on the idea of how when we find community, we want to bring other people into that circle. So I began the book with the one girl, motioning the other to follow her. And from there, they began to add and grow, all finding a place together. The more the merrier!

Megan: What creatively inspires you?
Abigail:
In no particular order: Tasha Tudor, used bookstores, embroidery, Eric Ravilious, Eastern European folk art, song lyrics, old photographs and always, nature.


Megan: What kind of books do you enjoy reading? Any fall-ish reading recommendations for us?
Abigail:
Classics, non-fiction, graphic novels and mysteries are my favorites. As far as fall-ish reading, I've been a huge fan of John Bellairs's Johnny Dixon mysteries since I was a tween --they're wonderfully eerie, the perfect sort of fall reading.
Megan: Aside from drawing and illustrating, how do you enjoy spending your time?
Abigail:
I participate in local vintage events, things like Tweed Rides, Suffragette reenactments and 1920's themed picnics. It's the closest I'll get to time travel in this lifetime (unless I stumble on a TARDIS).
Megan: Can you share what you are working on at present?
Abigail:
I’m working on illustrating a middle grade book.
Megan: Last question: along with building forts, Fort-Building Time celebrates the four seasons. Do you have a favorite season?
Abigail:
Spring!
Megan: Thank you, Abigail! Be sure to check out her website, her blog, and her Instagram!
Hi All! e popping in here. I had two more questions - one for Megan and one for Abigail...
Megan, how has your experience been to have illustrators working on your stories?

Megan: As to how it feels to have an illustrator illustrate my writing, I have had amazing experiences with that so far in my career. I've loved seeing the ways the illustrators have chosen to interpret and expand upon my words. It's always illuminating seeing how they strengthen the themes and add to the story. It can feel kind of scary, because the writing is so personal and what if I hate the artwork? But so far I have had great experiences and I always try to write in a way that leaves a lot of space for the illustrator. I want them to bring their own creative vision to the table and to be open to their insights.

e: Great! And Abigail - I always ask this question... What do you think makes an illustration magical, what I call "Heart Art” - the sort that makes a reader want to come back to look again and again?
Abigail:
I think what makes art magical (Heart Art) is when the illustrator enters deeply into the story and falls in love with the characters inside. When an artist makes that personal connection with the characters, it comes through in the illustrations and there's a different dimension that it brings to the work. It isn't just an assignment: it's a chance to bring to life the story of a friend.

e: Lovely! Thanks guys!

No comments: