Spring Semester - Week #1

We're off and running into the 2nd semester here at Winthrop University and it has been one insanely busy start! Even so, I feel like I have a much better handle on things this term, although I'm certainly not completely sorted as yet. I have a great group of kids (my students are always 'my kids' no matter their ages), which makes even the hard parts all worth it.
      This semester I'm teaching a drawing class...
I have 14 students in this one, so it's pretty cozy. But I've had many of these students before, so we already have an easy rapport going. Most of them are sophomores, so they are most definitely 'my kids' with all that entails. I love them silly, but still have to push them to push themselves.
I'm also teaching 'The Costumed Figure.'
This is a painting class that begins with quite a few fabric studies. Later in the semester we'll have costumed models with themes like 'The Friendship 9', 'Sci-Fi', and 'Mythology'. My friend, Vicky Alvear Shecter is going to come up and give a lecture to prepare the students for that one - that will be awesome as she's an expert in Greek, Roman, and Egyptian mythology!
This is a nice, small class with juniors who are past their portfolio reviews and now solidly into their illustration major. So, I'll have them until they graduate. And what a lucky teacher I am - this is one GREAT group of kids!
I'm also teaching a computer media class called 'Narrative and Editorial' for this same group of students. Computer lab photos aren't as fun, but I'll get some soon. And we're doing some super-groovy projects this term which I can't wait to share with you!
     Meanwhile, an amazing speaker series is already underway. I already shared Liv's TOUCHSTONES talk. Well, Design Department colleague Jesse Weser gave a great talk on Thursday about her practice. I'll share more on that soon as it deserves a post of its own.
We also had our semester faculty meeting in which ten of us gave Pecha Kucha talks. You may recall I learned about these when I first got to the University of Edinburgh. The theme is ten slides, ten minutes, ten speakers: 10x10x10. As this was my first time to address most of the Winthrop faculty, I mainly introduced myself and talked about some of the most defining moments and activities in my life.
And I showed them all my books, of course.
Other speakers included colleague and visual designer Mikale Kwiatkowski; Fine Arts and temporary Design Chair, and my boss, Karen Oremus; performance artist Stephanie Sutton; theater costumer Janet Gray; and the chair of the music department, trumpet player Elisa Catherine Koehler; along with dancers, more musicians, and artists. It's so inspiring to be surrounded by such forward-thinking and talented people. We all feel lucky to have found this home that encourages us to explore new ways to translate our world and gives us the opportunity to share our vision with a new generation. All good and off we go!

No comments: