Maribeth Boelts and Angela Dominguez's - KAIA AND THE BEES

Did you know that you can keep bees on an urban rooftop? That's where Kaia's father keeps his bees. His daughter, Kaia wants nothing to do with them, though... well, maybe. Creators Maribeth Boelts and Angela Dominguez dropped by to talk about their new book KAIA AND THE BEES...
e: What did you do to research illustrating this book? Were you into bees before working on it? If not, have you gained a new appreciation for them?
A:
I had an appreciation for bees prior to illustrating the book. When I lived in San Francisco, I had a friend who was an urban beekeeper, and I helped her cultivate the honey a few times. My first time I could definitely relate to Kaia. Being on a rooftop surrounded by thousands of bees was frightening! Similarly to Kaia, once my fear subsided, I became fascinated with their world. These experiences are what drew me to illustrate Maribeth’s charming story.
MB: When you agreed to illustrate this story, Angela, I was so excited, not only by your prior incredible illustrating but also your experience in urban beekeeping. And you’re so right—bees can be scary, even with protective gear on and the steeliest nerves steeled. My family and I were beekeepers for years, and while the experience was so enthralling and the learning curve steep, there were definitely times when my trepidation got the best of me. Beekeeping taught me to love and respect bees and do whatever I could to protect them.



e: What was your creative process/medium? Can you walk us through it?
A:
I do all of my sketches on tracing paper in pencil. Then I move into Photoshop to clean up the sketches and plan out how the images will relate to the text. This is one of my favorite stages because this is when you’re planning out how all the images will relate to one another and the overall flow.

Once the final sketches are approved, I start on the final artwork. I used to work traditionally, but now I work half digitally and half traditionally. With all of my books, I like to incorporate a handmade element in the illustrations. I began these specific illustrations with colored pencil on illustration board, then added more digital color on top in Photoshop.
MB: So interesting, Angela! I started this story by talking to kids about their nearly universal fear of bees while on school visits. Their responses, and my own experiences with both beekeeping and the occasional fearful feelings that would arise, lead me to sit down and race through the writing of a rough draft. My first drafts are written quickly—a character, a problem, some basic bones of a beginning, middle, and end. This is the hardest stage of writing a story! Do I have enough scaffolding to start the real building?
AD: If I feel like the answer is yes, then the next stage is my very favorite. I take that messy, loose rough draft and begin to shape, cajole, and expand it into a story. It usually has way too many words when I finish, but I have enough to work with and will spend weeks, sometimes months, fine-tuning and tweaking it and making sure the text matches the illustrations.
e: What do you think makes an illustration magical, what I call “Heart Art”—the sort that makes a reader want to come back to look again and again?
AD:
I am always drawn to artwork that has great character expressions and has energy in it, whether it’s through color, texture, composition, or a bold line. It makes the artwork feel alive.
e: How do you advertise yourself (or do you)?
AD:
I am naturally an introvert, but as an illustrator and author, it’s a must. I promote myself a few ways. First of all, I keep my website and blog updated. Second, I share good news on social media including Twitter, Instagram, and occasionally Facebook. Third, I love to visit schools and participate in events. I’m lucky to have a booking agent who handles most of these events. As of late, I’m creating videos and participating in virtual meetings. Those are a little less rewarding than the in-person events, but I love that I’m still able to talk to kids and readers of all ages.
MB: As a fellow introvert, I couldn’t agree more with the need to still promote and share news—not just of our own “book babies,” but those of other writers and illustrators, too. I do a lot of school visits, and as a former teacher, I’m perfectly comfortable and in my element in front of a group of young readers and writers. In fact, I love school visits! I also share news on my website (maribethboelts.com) and Twitter (@maribethboelts). I’ve Skyped with students for years and have created a few videos as well, but I am eager (so eager!) to work with students in person again. For Kaia and the Bees, I hired Blue Slip Media to help with promotion and will do so again as the experience was spectacular.
e: What is your favorite or most challenging part of being a creator?
AD:
I love interacting with the audience. Hearing kids’ opinions and suggestions is just so much fun. Their responses can be delightfully unexpected.
MB: I’ve been writing for children for nearly thirty years, and I love that there is still such mystery in it—why some books “catch” and make a child request repeated readings or view it as a favorite while other books receive a ho-hum. It’s that mystery, that absence of a prescription, that keeps me returning to my desk over and over again. Does this little seed of an idea have the potential to become a good book in the hands of a child?

e: Is there something in particular about Kaia and the Bees you hope readers will take away with them, perhaps something that isn’t immediately obvious?
AD:
There are many things that I love about Maribeth’s story. I love that Kaia and the Bees depicts overcoming fear in a realistic way. Kaia doesn’t magically become fearless; she has setbacks and at the end is still a little afraid. However, she finds her inner strength and wisdom to overcome that fear. I also love that Kaia and the Bees is inclusive. It depicts a realistic urban community and a contemporary family without being a plot point.

MB: Thank you, Angela. For many children with a fear of bees, the worst thing that can happen is a sting. I knew I had to be very honest with children and let Kaia face her fear and get stung, because facing fear doesn’t mean that the thing we’re afraid of will magically disappear. Sometimes we face a fear and our worst-case scenario actually does happen. And that’s where bravery comes in, which Kaia exhibits in a nuanced way at the end of the story.



e: What are you working on next, or what would be your dream project?
AD:
I recently wrapped up two books that I authored and illustrated that will be coming out in 2021. The first book is the third in the Stella Díaz series, Stella Díaz Dreams Big, and the second book is called I Love You, Baby Burrito. Both are published by Roaring Brook, an imprint of Macmillan. I’m working on a new picture book I wrote called Tengo Hambre and the fourth in the Stella Díaz series. I will also be illustrating another picture book this fall that I’m thrilled about. More news on that later!
MB: I love all your happy publishing news! I have a picture book coming out from Candlewick Press entitled The Purple Puffy Coat and an early reader from Random House, The Gingerbread Pup. Currently, I’m working on a middle-grade book and have a picture book manuscript being submitted.
e: Wonderful—I can't wait to see them! Thank you for a lovely chat, and I hope I can experience bees the way you both have someday!

KAIA AND THE BEES. Text copyright © 2020 by Maribeth Boelts. Illustrations copyright © 2020 by Angela Dominguez. Reproduced by permission of the publisher, Candlewick Press, Somerville, MA.

No comments: