Sir Walter Scott at The Scottish Portrait Gallery

I have been enchanted by one of Scotland's most famous bards - Sir Walter Scott. It's impossible to live in Edinburgh and not be. There is the Scott Monument on Princes Street,
The Abbotsford Pub on Rose Street, Waverly Station (named after his first novel), and of course, the tartan. Sir Walter Scott had a huge influence on Scottish culture. He was also a bit of a Trickster, so fits into my PhD Research rather nicely. As such, I've been writing some stories about him that I hope to send off to publishers soon.
     One is the story behind the Scott Monument that was first told to me by Paul McAuley, the recently retired Collections Care Officer for the Museum Collections Center. I first met Paul when we first moved here and he gave Stan and I a tour of the warehouse that filters all the treasures through Edinburgh and into the local museums, and happens to be adjacent to our apartment. So, it was only natural that I should want to run my story(ies) by Paul for vetting. To do so, I invited him to lunch at the National Portrait Gallery at the top of our hill. The gallery is all gussied up for the holidays...
I've showed you the mural before, but it really is stunning. It is a visual timeline of every Scottish ruler throughout history.
The heads of the mural were painted by this lady (who doesn't get the deserved credit), Amelia Robertson Paton.

There's nothing like touring a museum with someone who is passionate and knowledgeable about its contents. Paul made sure I saw the collection of busts, including the newest of a respected stateswoman. What was her name again, Paul?

The death masks.
The famous portrait of Mary Queen of Scots, whose painter is Unknown!
I was especially charmed to see a portrait of Andrew Lang, the creator of the Rainbow Fairytale books. It hung right next to a portrait of Robert Louis Stevenson and I swear, the two could have been brothers.
Of course, we had to get a selfie with the man we went there to talk about, Sir Walter Scott himself, preserved in marble.
Happily, we had a very productive visit and I hope to have my manuscript out soon. Many thanks to Paul for a lovely and educational lunch!

No comments: