Ashley Wolff at Hollins

Like I said, one of the great things about teaching at Hollins is learning from my fellow faculty. Author/illustrator Ashley Wolff gave a great Chalk Talk the other day, talking about 'Picture Book Boot Camp.' It was especially relevant for our incoming first-year students - the largest incoming class we've had yet! She showed work from a current work-in-progress. I just love the shared expression in this one. And it's her new doggie, Rufus' first book appearance!
Ashley also talked about writing what's familiar to you, what you may take for granted, but may be a very different experience for other people. Like all the snow she experienced growing up in Vermont.
She also discussed her concept of the four main story types. I found this very interesting!
I have brilliant friends!

No comments: