Sheri Dillard and Jess Pauwels' COWHIDE-AND-SEEK

You know I love it when my writing peeps celebrate debut releases. I have the thrill of sharing Sheri Dillard's brand new, shiny, first picture book today - it's COWHIDE-AND-SEEK, illustrated by Jess Pauwel for Running Press Kids. Happily, they dropped by to interview each other... take it away, ladies!
Sheri: Hi Jess! I'm so happy to be interviewing you today from Atlanta, GA all the way to Brussels, Belgium. :)
      I'm a huge fan of your work, and I loved Bessie the moment I saw her. Where did you draw inspiration for the characters? Did you start imagining the characters the first time you read the manuscript?
Jess: After reading the text a few times, I started drawing like a movie casting. What should the main characters look like to stick to the story? It helped me to get their reactions and to find the appropriate facial expressions and postures they would have during the whole time.
Then I waited for the publisher’s creatives to validate and send me a “layout.” (It’s the way they want the text to be spread from one page to another.)
Only then I start to draw the story.
      Did you have any challenges during editing the first drafts you made?
Sheri: COWHIDE-AND-SEEK was my very first manuscript, so I had a lot to learn! Working on this story over the years helped me grow as a writer. What was your path to creating children's books?
Jess: My grandparents and parents were professional dancers, so I guess I had to find my own way to tell stories, to transmit emotions. I studied arts and illustration in Brussels, Belgium. For a few years, I worked in a bookstore and kept trying for my own art, sending projects and posting on my blog. Then one publisher found my work on the web and the real illustrator life began for me.
How did Running Press Kids involve you in the illustrator’s hunt?
Sheri: I wasn’t expecting to be involved, so it came as a wonderful surprise when they asked for my thoughts. They sent me website links to three illustrators they were considering. All three were incredibly talented, but you were my favorite. I love the sense of humor in your work and how your characters are so expressive and full of personality. I was thrilled when I found out you would be illustrating my book, and I couldn’t wait to see how everything would look. :)
Is there a funny or interesting story behind the creation of COWHIDE-AND-SEEK's illustrations?
Jess: I was working on the book during the soccer World Cup. [2018 FIFA World Cup] In Belgium, we are very proud of our current team, even more when they go this far. So for the soccer scenes, I couldn’t help drawing one of our best players and his great haircut! (Red Devils # 6, Axel Witsel) And Sheri, you guessed right away that I did so, as you were following the World Cup with your sons. !-)
Sheri: Yes, my boys and I were so excited when we discovered that!
Jess: Also during that period, we were leaving the city for the country, so I was happy to mark this transition with a farm-themed story.
Sheri: I'll borrow a question from Elizabeth about something she calls "Heart Art." What do you think makes an illustration magical -- the sort that makes a reader want to come back to look again and again?

Jess: I don’t know if my illustrations are magical, but to get the attention of the reader, whatever his/her age, I try to keep the fun of my childhood readings when I was discovering, mostly, Belgian comics. So attitudes and expressions, as if the characters were actors I directed.
Sheri: What do you like to do when you're not illustrating?

Jess: Walking in the country with my dog, travelling (not a lot since dog !-), watching movies, reading many different books.
      Is there a family story behind Bessie’s run?

Sheri: Yes, in a way. When Bessie moved on from the playground, I wanted her to show up in other park areas where it would be funny (and chaotic) if a cow was there. My family has lots of experience with soccer (both playing and watching) and road races, so it was fun to imagine them with a cow in the mix. Now I need to find a way to get ultimate (a sport that uses a flying disc or Frisbee) into one of my stories! :) Besides going to a bookstore or library, what is the best way for people to see more of your work?
Jess: The best and easiest way is following me on Instagram @jesspauwels (for also everyday life) and visiting my website, http://jesspauwels.be/

Sheri: What are you working on now? Do you have a dream project?
Jess: I’m currently working on two different picture books for French publishers, but I can’t really talk about it yet. After your story, I continued two series started a while ago, and I finished a Christmas project for the UK with Faber.
      I dream to draw AND write my own story but illustrating others’ words is already very challenging.

Sheri: Awesome! Thanks so much for the interview, Jess! We’ll look forward to seeing more from you soon! :)

1 comment:

Sheri Dillard said...

Thanks for having us on your blog, Elizabeth! It was a lot of fun! :)