SCBWI Carolinas Fall Conference - wrap-up!

Last weekend I had the pleasure of hanging out with the SCBWI Carolinas region, and wow, was I impressed! For covering only two states, they have some amazing talent in their region - and a TON of illustrators who eagerly participate. The portfolio show was one of the best I've seen, and the 3 minute read-alouds left me wanting to hear more. (At Jo's prodding, I shared LULA'S BREW on my iPad!)
     I conducted nine picture book critiques (in a row!), and felt they all went well. I've since received several thank-you emails, so am heartened that I offered good advice.
     I also spoke twice: "The Nuts and Bolts of Creating Picture Books," which was basically an uber-condensed version of the weekend-long workshop I teach at the John C. Campbell Folk School; and "Picture Book Dummies," for both writers and illustrators. Again, lots of great comments from folks about both. And my first workshop was standing room only! Woosie.
     Jo Hackl and Teresa Fannin, Carolina's Regional Advisors, were our hosts and those ladies run one tight ship.
     I had the great pleasure of hanging out with: Laurent Linn (Art Director at S&S), who I just adore; Alvina Ling of Little Brown; Liz Waniewski of Dial; Lionel Bender of Bender Richardson White; Chris Richman, agent with Upstart Crow Literary Agency; author Alan Gratz; marketing guru Shelli-Johannes Wells; awesome Assistant RA to our Southern Breeze region, Heather Montgomery; and more! Dang. We had lots of 'sit and chat moments' and I had a fantastic time. (They all gave wonderful talks as well.)
     I'll post photos as I find 'em - as usual I am just not the photo bug. But needless to say, if you are a member of SCBWI in the Carolinas - you are one lucky, lucky creator! Thanks to all for such a great time!

2 comments:

CL said...

And we had the pleasure of hanging out with you, Elizabeth! You are very inspiring and I really learned alot at your workshop.

Thanks also for looking at my dummy and for your advice.

See you at the Spring Mingle, I hope!

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

The pleasure was mine! What a great group! Yup - see you in the Spring! :) e