The Greenaway at the Book Festival

I'll admit the weather in Edinburgh has been mostly dreich this summer, with only a few rare sunny days. Saturday's outing was one of them. Sunday's, on the other hand, was back to the rain and an unseasonal cold front. I almost didn't go, as it was raining cats and dogs when I left the flat. But I had a ticket to the Kate Greenaway panel at the Edinburgh Book Festival and I really didn't want to miss it.
     I'm so glad I went because it seemed the majority of those who did make it were simply a big group of hard-core illustrators. They were on stage - Debi Gliori, writer Nicola Davies, and Petr Horacek (who I interviewed on my blog HERE).
     And they were in the audience: Me, Boris Lee, Hannah Sanguinetti, Kate Leiper, and Jill Calder. I also ran into Vivian French on my way out. (Do click on the links for all these folks as there was some amazing talent there!)
     This is what I love about the book festival. I always run into friends, and make new ones. I do wish the weather had been nicer, as I would have done a lot more hanging out to see who I see, and perhaps get to know some of the teachers and librarians who have the fun jobs to moderate the panels. But even so, the book festival is always a great chance to connect with people who I share this crazy book passion with. I look forward to next year! (When I'll have two books out, and who knows, maybe I'll get to be onstage myself! Fingers crossed!)

1 comment:

Jane Yolen said...

Let's get out publishers to write and say we will BOTH be around next year to present together! And lets tell SCBWI we would love to both be on a panel about Partners in childrren's books. Offer me up as moderator if you'd like.

xxxJane