My New, New Office!

When I first started working at Winthrop, I had a temporary office space until my predecessor moved out of his space. Well, lots of soul searching and rearranging later, and I am finally in my new-to-me official office! What was the soul-searching? My predecessor's office was a big, double-office space, but it was on the 2nd floor, away from my students and the illustration studio. My current office isn't as big, BUT it is opposite the "Treehouse" - the gathering spot and default classroom space for the illustration department. (This is the view of the door to the Treehouse from my office door.)
I didn't want to miss out on my students popping in to say 'hi' which is something they did all the time in my temporary office (on the 3rd floor, just a few doors down from the Treehouse). I knew they wouldn't do that if I was a floor away - it's simply a completely different vibe. Also, with this new office, it collates the illustration department and all the students studios on the 3rd floor in what is becoming the "Illustration Corridor" (I need to come up with a better name for that). Now that I'm in my new space, I am so incredibly thrilled with my choice. The office may be smaller, but it faces mostly west, so the light is amazing and it has the most wonderful view!
I can see the water tower (a university symbol) and I overlook Hardin Gardens. During session, it is filled with wonderful fountains that Mikale (the previous Professor who had the office) says you can hear if you crack the window a bit. Mikale got my predecessor's office on the 2nd floor, which makes so much more sense as she is truly a Design Professor, while I'm a bit of an outlier as the Illustration Professor in the Department of Design. So now she has the big, double-office space and is very happy where she is, and I am very happy with where I am! I've already dressed up my door more since this picture was taken - I like to set out the new picture books publicists send me. Not that anyone will see them anytime soon, but it just makes my entrance more friendly looking.
I've already got all of my fave artwork up on the wall you see when you first walk in.
It's also the wall I stare at from my desk. And as much of the artwork is by friends, it makes me happy to look at.
The walls over my desk are a bit boring right now, but I have a plan for them. Once I get my PhD, I plan to frame my three diplomas and hang them there.
And since my office isn't a double, I was given a second space for storage, which means my closet can be blissfully organized (even if this is the cleanest it will ever be).
With the Treehouse right across the hall, I really don't feel slighted on space. I can spread out over the entire corridor if I want to. So, I have to admit, I'm tickled silly with my new office. It just feels so good!!! That said, I don't know how often I'll be there this semester. We'll see if I keep working from home as I have since March. But I do keep finding reasons to go there, and so far I really don't run into anyone else in the building. It almost feels like I have the floor to myself (although it won't stay that way). So, we'll see how quickly I get embedded.
     I do know I have a LOT of organizing to do in the Treehouse itself, which I plan to get to as soon as I send my dissertation off. So, I very well may be owning the space very soon! Happy!

1 comment:

Loose Stitches said...

Congratulations, so wonderful for you!
Crafty Hugs, Sherry