Akiko Miyakoshi's I DREAM OF A JOURNEY

I am such a fan of Akiko Miyakoshi's work, that when she visited to talk about her picture book THE PIANO RECITAL, I asked her if she would mind coming back to tell us about her newest picture book, I DREAM OF A JOURNEY. Happily, she said "Yes!"
e: Other than the soft drawing, the cover of I Dream of a Journey immediately stands out in comparison to your other titles. How is this one different?
Akiko:
The technique was changed this time. This book was done by Lithograph. I’m using so many colors.

e: You mentioned to me that I Dream of a Journey is a special book for you. Why? Akiko: “Journey” is always the important theme for me. I've been making many pictures with the theme. Each scene has small story. So there are so many memories and experiences in this book. As I make this book, I asked myself why l like journey so much and I believe I could show the answer very well. That's the longing. And one more important thing for me is the expression of the picture book. I love picture book itself. Image and text and turning the pages. The combination of these 3 elements makes picture book unique. I like simple but rich story. I pursued it every time I write and I’m satisfied with that ever this time.
e: Can you tell us more about the lithograph method you used for this book?
Akiko:
I used to draw by wood charcoal and pencil and Gouashe. Lithograph has beautiful layering of colors and I like that so much. These pictures in this book wouldn't have been created without doing lithograph. It’s been 5 years since I started to lithograph and I’m getting many inspirations from the beautiful layering of colors.
e: How do you approach writing a story? Every author seeks the “magic formula” - what’s yours?
Akiko:
I always start from one picture of mine. This time it was the picture of the innkeeper at the hotel front. I collect the small pieces of the ideas. Some of them will grow to a story. Then I try to assemble them in many ways again and again. At the same time, l make the characters and the detail of the world, or I try to see another perspective. That might be connect the ideas. My picture book is an accumulation of the ideas. There is no magic formula. I’m seeking as well!

e: I love the idea that the main character wants to go see the world, when all along, people (well, animals) from all over the world have been coming to him! What inspired this irony?
Akiko:
As I stayed at Wien at Christmas season, I met a innkeeper at my hotel. He was nice and modest. It was interesting to imagine that how he feels always working for the people from all over the world at the same place. He looks curious about other culture and he is satisfied with his life there. He is the model of this main character.

e: I Dream of a Journey is filled with so much longing - is it about you?
Akiko:
Yes that’s right. It’s me and who I was. And it’s also my friends or family.

e: You share it all so well. I look forward to seeing what you come up with next! Call me a bona fide fan! :)




I am participating in the BookShop Affiliate Program. This program pays bloggers a small percentage of each purchased book from a post. But the best part is, purchases are fulfilled by bookstores near you, thereby, helping to keep your local bookstores afloat too! It's good for everyone! Click the book cover to purchase this title through Bookshop.

No comments: