Society of Illustrators - I am a member!

There are moments, rituals in every trade, I suppose, when you feel that you have finally been accepted into the fold. For me, after seven years of working as a professional illustrator, that moment came in 2006 when I went to New York City for the SCBWI New York Portfolio Show at the Society of Illustrators - and yes, I blogged back then too, so you can read about it HERE. I joked that I walked around the building seven times, my own personal Mecca, in homage. It was then that I felt like a true illustrator. Don't ask me why, it was simply a personal goal to see the Society of Illustrators.
     I went back again in 2017, walking nearly half-way across the city to get there, and actually had lunch with the Collections Manager, Eric Fowler. Read about that trip HERE.
     But in all that time, I never actually joined the Society of Illustrators. It's not cheap, and I couldn't warrant the cost when most of the organization's activities happened in New York City. It always felt like a hole in my wholeness as an illustrator, if that makes sense.
     So, I was thrilled beyond belief when Winthrop University sponsored my membership recently. I can now proudly say that I am a member of the Society of Illustrators - finally! YES!

No comments: