Day 10 in Scotland: Food, Museums, and a Friend

Day 10: Taking photos of some of my favorite places to eat in Edinburgh (I can't eat in ALL of them in one trip!); lunch with Hyab in the National Museum of Scotland; a fashion exhibit and Pict history; and a venison dinner at The Whisky Rooms.
Mum's is a great place to get the traditional haggis, neeps, and tatties. Being near the uni, it's also a favorite student hangout.

We used to jokingly call this The Red Lobster; although the comparison ended with the red lobster over the door. Cafe Royal is a Very Upscale place to order a Fruit de Mer (steamed seafood platter).

Maybe I'll have lunch at Chez Jules today - it's a French Bistro, as authentic as they come. LOVE it!

I was thrilled to see my all time fave crepe stand is still there - set up in an old police box!

Hyab and I met for lunch at the café in the National Museum. We were office mates during our PhD studies - we've all remained friends. Hyab is now doing amazing things, advocating all over the world about the treatment and experience of refugees. He's amazing. Together again!

I decided to spend a day in the National Museum of Scotland - one of my favorite museums in the world. Inside is a history of mankind and all the things we get into from the dawn of the planet to modern day. I could spend months here discovering new things! And being Scotland, it's FREE to visit whenever you like!

Fun stuff to look at is EVERYWHERE! Here's Dolly the first cloned sheep!

I took this one for Stan. He loved to watch Formula One.

The famous Lewis Chess Pieces with their wee goggly eyes. I love them!

This horse head dress would have been used for ceremonial purposes. Loki inspiration much?

There is so much to see, this trip, I decided to concentrate on Pictish History. They had no written language, but they did leave carvings, like this magnificent boar. Most of what we know about these people was told by their vanquishers, the Romans.

A WOMAN represented hunting on a Pictish Stone carving. SOME believe that the Picts were matrilineal or matrifocal (if not a full on matriarchy).

There was also an interesting fashion exhibit in the museum. These were SHOES if you can believe it!

I don't know how anyone was supposed to walk in these - especially the copper ones on the upper right. Yup - those are shoes too!

Sadly, I have yet to see the Bute Mazer in person - it was away for some scientific reason. I love it because of the lion in the bottom - how the artist rendered a creature they'd obviously never seen, but only been told about. So much creative practice can be inspired by this idea!

Afterwards, I wandered down to The Meadows, Edinburgh's version of Central Park. Students were laying out in the sun.

I ended up in The Whiski Rooms for some Ardbeg 10 and venison. (You can't get venison in restaurants in the US typically, which is a

To read about my entire trip, go to:
Day 1: I'm back!
Day 2: HIGH Tea with friends (and a secret)
Day 3: in Glasgow!
Day 4: Dear Friends and a Proper Memorial
Day 5: Farmer's Markets and Tapestries
Day 6: The Vinnie, The Star Bar, Parting Stones, Tears, and Friends
Day 7: with Maureen in Glasgow
Day 8: Porty Beach and an emotional day
Day 9: Fruit de Mer and Seagulls!
Day 10: Food, Museums, and a Friend
Day 11: Last full day in Edinburgh
Day 12: Last few minutes in Scotland
) I didn't get a photo of my meal - PAH!


No comments: