Day 6: The Vinnie, the Star Bar, Parting Stones, Tears, and Friends

Day 6 in Scotland: The Star Bar, leaving one of Stan's Parting Stones, lunch with Vivian French (no photos - PAH!), and The Vinnie with Shona.

It was an emotional day. I had Stan's ashes turned into "Parting Stones" - small ceramic stones that I am placing in significant and beautiful spots around the world. The third one is buried in the roots of the fourth bush in front of our old flat.
Our old street.
I wandered down to our favorite haunt, The Ox. The owner was there and remembered me. I told him about Stan - okay, I CRIED to him about Stan, poor guy; and he poured a pint to toast Stan. Walking out I had the overwhelming feeling that Stan was finally at HOME and at PEACE.
I wasn't quite recovered when I met Vivian for lunch. But it was so good to see her - falling into a hug.

After lunch and recovering a bit, I went back to another favorite haunt (yes, they're all pubs - this IS Scotland after all!) - The Vinnie!
The Vinnie with Shona!
The Star Bar was one of our fave hole in the wall pubs - there's not a sign anymore, except for this skeleton with a Star Bar t-shirt!
You might be beginning to think this was an emotional trip. It was. The whole point of it was to see if Edinburgh was still magical, even without Stan by my side. Happily, I saw his ghost everywhere and everywhere I saw him, he was smiling. So yes, the magic was still there.

To read about my entire trip, go to:
Day 1: I'm back!
Day 2: HIGH Tea with friends (and a secret)
Day 3: in Glasgow!
Day 4: Dear Friends and a Proper Memorial
Day 5: Farmer's Markets and Tapestries
Day 6: The Vinnie, The Star Bar, Parting Stones, Tears, and Friends
Day 7: with Maureen in Glasgow
Day 8: Porty Beach and an emotional day
Day 9: Fruit de Mer and Seagulls!
Day 10: Food, Museums, and a Friend
Day 11: Last full day in Edinburgh
Day 12: Last few minutes in Scotland

No comments: