Day 8 in Scotland: Party Beach and an emotional day

Day 8 in Scotland: Porty Beach, The Espy, a bookstore, and dinner with Chris at The Ox (dangit, I didn't get a photo again!).

One of my goals while in Edinburgh was to leave some of Stan's Parting Stones in places I know he loved—places the we loved. One of the best was Portobello Beach. Just a 20-minute bus-ride east of the city is a whole other level of paradise... I took the #26 bus to Porty (Portobello Beach). I sat on the top at the front, with a big window view, just like Stan and I used to do.

The ride is beautiful. That's Arthur's Seat in the background - blooming with yellow Gorse.

With random cathedrals. As lovely as the ride was, I was there for the water... wait for it... there it is! My first glimpse of water!
Porty Beach sits on the Firth of Forth.

Tide was out.
I had made reservations at The Espy - the table by the window - the best seat in the house. The people watching is great!

Afterwards, I walked down to the water to throw in Stan's Parting Stone. Maureen said "chucked" wasn't quite a good verb, that maybe "fling" was better. At any rate, I did a slightly better job FLINGING Stan into the water this time. And as the tide came in, he ended up farther and farther out to sea. It was an emotional day.

From the water, the town looked so far away. Of course, this is with the tide out.

There are different textures to the sand, depending on how close to the water you are. It is always a bit windy, so sand gets Everywhere. I am still scrubbing it off!

It's so peaceful there. Stan and I decided that if reincarnation is a thing, we both want to come back as dogs on Porty Beach. You've never seen such JOY!

I went to Porty to throw out one of Stan's Parting Stones and thought it was appropriate that it all be set to music. Click here for a short video... It was an emotional trip.
On the way back to the bus, I passed the fishmonger.

I believe this is what we call a Monkfish (or was it a Seacat?).

Returning to Edinburgh brought a wave of returning HOME. I dropped by the bookstore that opened right after we moved away.

At the bookstore I found friends! Jane Yolen was there!

And Vivian French was there!

The bookseller recommended a lovely book and supplied me with free tea while I sat and read. What a lovely way to relax!

It was a hard day, but it was a good day. Days can be both.

To read about my entire trip, go to:
Day 1: I'm back!
Day 2: HIGH Tea with friends (and a secret)
Day 3: in Glasgow!
Day 4: Dear Friends and a Proper Memorial
Day 5: Farmer's Markets and Tapestries
Day 6: The Vinnie, The Star Bar, Parting Stones, Tears, and Friends
Day 7: with Maureen in Glasgow
Day 8: Porty Beach and an emotional day
Day 9: Fruit de Mer and Seagulls!
Day 10: Food, Museums, and a Friend
Day 11: Last full day in Edinburgh
Day 12: Last few minutes in Scotland

No comments: