Snowed In!

We are snowed in here in Atlanta! You people up North stop laughing. We get snow like this maybe once every ten years, so we don't invest in salt trucks, or snow shovels. We just hunker down, clear out the stores...


curl up by a fire and eat! I'm lucky my hubbie is a GREAT cook! Tonight's menu: a big pot o' his awesome smoked pablano chili and I'm baking a peach pie (summer peaches which I froze for just such an ocassion - gotta love the contrast with the snow).

     This is how it all started Sunday night...

     Where's Mr. Tumnus when you need him?
     And here's the back yard...

...with Bernie's footprints. He doesn't know what to make of all this white stuff. It's hard to walk in.

     This is the view of our driveway. I know it doesn't look like a lot of snow to many of you, I'm sure, but here's what happens in the South - all that white stuff you're looking at is about to freeze solid (much of it is still frozen from last night) and the temp is supposed to drop tonight. There's a sheen to frozen snow, sort of like sparkly, fairy snow. But you don't want to drive on it - although we did because we're crazy like that! Hence the grocery store shots above! We did have to watch out for walkers who, because there were so few cars, walked in the middle of the street everywhere (the sidewalks are solid ice).

     Tonight it will turn to ice. In fact, tomorrow will probably be more dangerous conditions than yesterday or today. And what was snow, has turned to freezing rain, which is now coating the tree branches. When those come down, power starts going out. Let's cross our fingers that doesn't happen!
     So far it's been an awesome storm. I'm getting some great down time/creative time. Although, for those of you who won prizes here at dulemba.com recently - I can't get to the postie just yet. (And if I could, it's not open!) Soon, soon, I promise!
     Here's for SNOW! Wahoooo! :)

Here are some GREAT photos by Josh D. Weiss of people sledding in Piedmont Park - which has become a big deal the last few days!

Sledding Videos!

22 comments:

Jannie aka Chickengirl said...

lol hilarious the stores are cleared out!

stay warm :-)

Lillian Child said...

I know you said not to laugh, so I will try to keep it to a stiffled giggle. We got 10 inches of the fluffy white stuff yesterday here in Nebraska, but like you said, we're used to it. ROFL.

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

Oh man! I said not to laugh. I know, I know! But us folks with southern blood don't know what to do with all this white stuff. It's daunting, I say.

Vicky Alvear Shecter said...

Oh my gawd! What store did you walk to? Has Stan tried to get into work? Those pics of fun in Piedmont Park are awesome. I looked for my brother's because he said he was sledding there yesterday (no such luck).

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

We didn't walk! We drove! We have an all wheel drive and Stan was hoping to do donuts - gads. It was pretty slippery slidy out there. And we had to watch out for all the walkers - who were walking in the middle of the street because the sidewalks were too icy. Those pics are from the Kroger on North Decatur - today about 12:00. :)

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

Y'all do realize I write fiction for a living and am prone to exaggeration - right? ;-)

amy timberlake said...

Yay! Snow in Atlanta! I love snow down south, you guys get SNOW DAYS don't you? When I lived in Virginia I enjoyed that. Unfortunately up here in 'da North country we've got plows. But hey, hunker down . . . hopefully it'll let you out of the house before June! Ha!

MrBibleHead said...

Hey Elizabeth! My wife used to live near Atlanta. She's been trying to talk me into moving us down there from Chicago because the winters are mild there....I guess she'll have to try a different approach :o) Great post.... hang in there! Sorry I laughed :o)

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

Amy and Jack - I'm sure we'll be back to unseasonably warm weather by next week. I'll probably be wearing short sleeves saying "I can't believe I had out my thick sweaters just a few days ago..."
:)
e

Beth G. said...

Snow days are one of the things I miss about the Midwest. Although I think they might not be as much fun as a parent as it was as a kid.

Amanda said...

haha!! I'm sorry! I AM laughing!!! You wanna see snow, I'll send ya some snow!!! I'm up in Ontario Canada! You should borrow a salt truck or two from us up here!! Hope you're safe though and hope you got enough stuff at the store!!!

MotherReader said...

I love snow in the south. We get our share in Northern Virginia, but we'll still close schools early for a bare hint of the white stuff. People also do the milk/bread/toilet paper run when there is any talk of a storm. The only time we were right to panic was that blizzard of 2010, but we remain convinced that the next storm is going to be huge.

Joanna McDonald said...

Actually I am laughing! And the food
is low at the grocery. Up here in
Indiana we have snow plows and all
that equipment. Have fun - you might
want to go outside and make angels
in the snow - Do people in Ga. know
how to make snow angels?

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

It's a real treat when I get to do a snow angel... in Vermont. This is pretty wet stuff down here - not sure I'd be up for the mess it would create. Although I do regret not making a snow sculpture. :)

Sondy at Sonderbooks said...

I LOVE the "Mr. Tumnus" picture! Was that actually right by your house? It does look straight out of Narnia in Lantern Waste

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

Sondy - Yup, it's at the end of our driveway. Pretty groovy shot, eh? :) e

Madigan Mirza said...

Great photos, Elizabeth!

This "snowcation" has dragged on longer than I ever would have thought possible!

I've always said that I never wanted to live in a place where it ever snows, but you know, if this is the reaction (declaring a state of emergency, complete shut-down of the city, hunkering down at home with oodles of hot cocoa) then you know, I think I can deal!

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

Hi Madigan! I know what you mean - I've been loving the quiet/creative time. I've gotten so much done! :) e

Max said...

Here in the UK today's constant rain finally cleared all the snow which has been a problem since last November, but as you say it's the ice that is actually more dangerous. I am nursing a broken wrist because of it =(
Hope it clears for you soon. Stay safe.

Luv'n'Stuff
Max
xx
Max's Craft Creations
Bah! Humbug! Challenges DT

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

Oh, I'm sorry Max! And yah. My hubbie had to drive downtown for work today and he said driving conditions are still not good out there. Must admit, I'm starting to feel the itch of cabin fever... just a bit.

Harpa said...

Hi there
I live in south of Iceland, now the streets are black, yesterday they was white and whiter the day before. In the north, east and west part of the country they do have a lot more snow and windy weather. Every fall we have news of people slippering and braking some arms or hips and car crashes because of ice. But we are used to it so we don´t laugh. But we don´t close schools, roads or empty up stores except we have the wind tearing our roofs off the houses and most of them are very well build.
Nice pics btw.

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

Now that's extreme Harpa! Woosie.