Glass Art at The Mint

Vicky and I saw so many wonderful things at The Mint Museum. I hope you can get there to see everything in person (there's so much), but I'm sharing some teaser highlights to entice you. Today, I'll focus on the amazing glass objects we saw. I am always fascinated by art glass because I have absolutely no idea how they make these amazing things. Although, this first one could easily be a study of glass methods. It's called "Spin, Weave, Gather" and it's by Nancy Callan.
This bowl by František Vízner looks simple, but it was anything but. It was carved glass and the amber color moved around the bowl as you walked around it - stunning!
These orbs were wonderful. They were by Ruth Shortt and called 'Orifice'. The insides were gold and the outsides were a dusty pearl - lovely.
Probably one of my favorite pieces actually combined wood and glass. It was called 'Jelly Donut' and was just so happy, by Merryll Saylan.
Not all of the glass pieces were large. This lamp-worked glass piece by Ruudt Peters was actually quite small, but it was simply lovely. Can you imagine wearing something like that?
This last sculpture stood in front of the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art, and while it's mostly mosaic mirrors, they are indeed glass, so I'm including it here. It was hard to get a photo of just the sculpture as it is obviously a destination photo-op in Charlotte!
Next? The random bits that don't really fit in any one category!

No comments: